Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oatmeal: Not Just a Super Food, but a Super Site!

I was introduced to The Oatmeal on Valentine's Day 2011. Someone had posted something ridiculous on Facebook, so after I stopped laughing, retweeted  it, and the like, I curiously clicked the link to see what else I was missing out on. What did I find?

The best freakin' site ever!*
   *slight exaggeration, but it's still pretty great!


With The Oatmeal you can find all sorts of things to not only learn, but have fun with. My personal favorites involve anything grammar related [and not simply because I'm an English person] because they go above and beyond to make sure 1) they're funny and 2) you remember. It kind of reminds me of the days we got to watch School House Rock! in class: it's fun, it's educational, and we don't feel like total dweebs for liking it.

Some fun grammar quizzes can be found here. Okay, so they're not really quizzes, just comical ways of telling the site visitor about the proper use of a semi-colon [use it, people!], how to correctly use an appostrophe [because, to this very day, they confuse me], and so on. They're fun "quizzes" so it doesn't feel like a chore to take two minutes out of your day to take one or two just to refresh your memory. Trust me, our college-age memories always need a nice refresher course, and if we can laugh while we learn? Well, I'm sold.

So check it out and refresh your memory on some grammar. And while you're at it, poke around on the site. Some of the stuff is better than others [and the line of "offensive" is tread not so carefully], so let's keep this amongst our college age pals, shall we?  

-Olivia!

No comments:

Post a Comment